Thursday, March 11, 2010

Humbled

I met someone the other day who has seven children and an eighth on the way.  The thought of supporting a family that size sends my mind reeling.  Just think of the amount of milk, orange juice, paper towels, etc. you would have to buy on a regular shopping trip.  They are a very nice family and the mother of these children struck me as both pleasant and calm - neither characteristic would I be able to claim if I were in her shoes!  Speaking of shoes, let's get to the crux of the matter - I bet she could teach me a thing or two about buying non-depletables.  I don't know, because I controlled my desire to be obtrusive and ask her - but I would love to know how they handle the purchases of  "stuff."  Let's just say that I felt a bit humbled after thinking about this family for a while.  If they can manage with 10 family members, surely we can manage with four.  Granted, I have no idea what her husband does for a living - but still, there is really no excuse for us.  Little encounters like this one, along with everyone's support, serves as reminders to us that we need to stay the course, hold fast to our plan and keep pushing forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment